Search This Blog

Monday, September 6, 2010

Relationships That End Relationships ...

I have seen too much of this lately, but why is it that when some people enter into committed relationships or marriages even, that other relationships are lost?

I understand the leave & cleave belief ... in fact I believe in it ... but leave does not mean abandon. Not to me anyway.

I have seen 15 year friendships thrown away ... hobbies stopped ... careers changed ... and for what? Because the person you have decided is the love of your life doesn't understand them, or think they're appropriate?

I have friends that have proven loyalty through several relationships ... why would I let them go for the sake of a new man entering my life? Why would I let go of something that I enjoy for the sake of a new man, even the absolute love of my life?

Not that we don't make compromises and sacrifices for those we love ... because we do ... we cut back ... we change things to accommodate, to include ... we ask them to be part of our hobbies ... to hang out with our friends ... that is the nature of a relationship ... to learn to embrace things in another person ...

There are obviously exceptions ... abuse (substance, physical, etc) ... friends of those we love can be real jerks sometimes ... but sometimes we have to realize that they've been a part of our loved one's life much longer than we have ... and learn to embrace them and their quirks as well ...

It's hard enough to deal with losing friendships & relatives when we break up or divorce people .. it's even harder to lose them because they enter a relationship ...

1 comment:

Miss Ash said...

I think that sometimes folks lose themselves in their significant other. It's not so much that it's intentional, but that everything is new, and suddenly LIFE is new and the patterns are new, and everything is SOOO exciting that you forget to do the things you normally do. And then time goes by, and those things that were NEW are now just normal. And then those folks you used to know have moved onto THEIR next part of life, and sometimes hard to get caught up.

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License

All material is copyrighted please see the Permissions page for information on sharing or re-posting information ... full permission is always given for sharing links to full articles via social networks or email.

Top Three Blogs For The Last Thirty Days ...

My Most Viewed Blogs Ever ...