Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Mommy Schedule

Sometimes I wonder why we do it to ourselves .... but then we see the joy on their faces ...

This is one of "those" weeks ... I have one kid with practices from 2:30-3:50 and another with practices from 5:30-6:30 ... and then a performance to go to late Thursday night ... luckily my kids don't have school on Friday ...

My oldest is currently in track, newspaper & art club ... she thought about student council and decided it would be too much. It is all easy for her (& me) to keep up with until something comes along like a weekend ... like this last one ... where she has a slumber party and a family function and didn't have the weekend to work on her stuff ...

I've had worse weeks than I am having now ... last spring, I had one in softball ... two in soccer ... plus my man was coaching a soccer team ... that was crazy ...

I think in some ways this is a product of the mommy wars ... that our kids have to be involved in multiple extracurricular activities, a "keeping up with the Jones'" attitude ... I know so many moms that have their kids in swimming, soccer, dance, piano, and, and, and ... for a while I tried to do that, but with three kids, financially it became near impossible, and then the schedule was crazy too ... way too much stress .. and gas ... and  I'm sorry, but I couldn't keep up ... I couldn't even come close ...

So, my kids get to pick and choose activities ... free ones (such as newspaper) are of course almost always allowed ... but the ones we have to pay for or that greatly interfere with our schedules have to be discussed and we have to determine whether or not the stress is worth it to everyone involved ... I want to give my kids the world ... but there is a sense of practicality that has to be at least acknowledged ...

3 comments:

Miss Ash said...

I chuckle at this mommy wars/keeping up w/ the Jones' business.

We don't have the kids in many activities because it's hard with two households to make commitments for the kids. So, we have T in cub scouts and K tried out for this special choir at school.
That, and both L & I work an hour away from home, which means that the kids are gone from 7a until 6p when they're with us. And that doesn't leave a whole lot of room for extracurriculars. BUT if there was more flexibility, and more time at home, I'd totally be encouraging it. And when they're older and can start sports with the school, then I'm hoping they'll get involved with all of them.
:)

E said...

If I only had one ... I think he/she would probably still not do more than my oldest ... I never really wanted to "keep up" ... but with that being all I knew all around me ... I thought that's how kids' lives were "supposed" to be ... because that's what all the other moms were doing ... the financial stress of having two kids in dance & swim just about killed me ... when all their little friends were doing some kind of instrument and soccer too ... it was about then that I realized my friends were too wealthy to be thinking that they raised their kids "normal" lol ...

E said...

oh ... and right now ... all of their activities are through school ...

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License

All material is copyrighted please see the Permissions page for information on sharing or re-posting information ... full permission is always given for sharing links to full articles via social networks or email.

Top Three Blogs For The Last Thirty Days ...

My Most Viewed Blogs Ever ...