Search This Blog

Friday, March 11, 2011

The People We Don't Choose ....

This really should be several different blogs ... one titled "Negativty" ... one titled "Clarification" ... and one titled "The People We Don't Choose" ... but really this all came about because of one big snowball that started from the last of those three ... and the three pieces of the puzzle fall together in a way that without all three pieces you can't see the whole picture ...

I talked recently about a bully I encountered online ... one that I considered a life long friend ... well as it turns out this led to another bully ... and in my mind someone that probably should be more capable of taking a higher road ... more capable of being mature and wise (as she is twenty or thirty years older than me) ... but that would be me judging her ... which I try very hard not to do ... people are as they are regardless of gender, age, race ... religion (in fact I would say that some of the harshest most judgmental people I have ever met or dealt with claim that they are extremely religious ... which given my vast knowledge of the Bible, Biblical history and the life and ways of Jesus is kind of ironic ... as their attitudes are far from the words that were given to us) ... but people are as they are ...

One of my biggest problems in life is that I believe in basic human kindness and goodness ... I am naive enough to believe that traits like kindness, empathy, compassion and honesty are traits that are innate in human beings ... and unfortunately, as I get older, more and more people prove me wrong ...

I guess there is no way to tell this story without just telling it ... and realizing it is entirely possible for either or both of these people to read my blog ... I must say that I am writing this for cathartic reasons, the way I do most of my blogs, and for the many other people that like to read the inner ramblings of my mind ... I am not writing this in the hopes that they read it, in fact, much of me would rather they didn't, because I don't really want to fuel the fire ... but this is my way of getting thoughts and feelings out of my head ... and getting the weight off my shoulders ... so here is the basic story ...

As I said in my previous post I had a "friend" on Facebook that several times had made negative comments on my posts ... if she had only said things when I was "bitching" or venting frustrations ... the explanation that I was to get indirectly later on might make sense ... but it wasn't, in fact, she would make these negative, mean, bullying and snide comments on either things that were completely innocent and stupid or times when I was celebrating the good things in my life ... times when I was happy ... she felt the need to bring me down ... for what reason I don't know ... and rarely did she have that
effect ... but the very last time that she did it ... my inbox on Facebook was practically flooded with friends saying they didn't want to go off on her on my wall ... but "how dare she?" ... "why do you have her as a friend?" ... "how could anyone in your life know what's going on with you and say something like that?" ... I did have one friend respond directly to her ... and my boyfriend almost did ... but refrained ... but in total I had eleven other Facebook friends respond to her negativity in a way that made me question why she was my friend as well ... this leads me to the title of this blog ... the people we don't choose ...


I find myself a pretty good judge of character ... I get a feeling about people almost right away as to whether I think they are compassionate and caring or judgmental and mean-spirited ... I choose my friends very carefully ... and while I have somewhere around 350 friends on Facebook ... with few exceptions ... each and every one has left an impression on my heart and in my soul ... and I hold the majority of them fairly close ... I get along with my ex-boyfriends ... and my ex-husband most of the time ... the times I have been "betrayed" by people I have chosen to be a part of my life are minuscule ... in fact sitting here and thinking about it ... I honestly can't remember one, not there haven't been fights or spats (especially in jr high and high school) ... I'm sure there have been times ... but I've grown apart from some people here and there ... but I honestly don't remember any drama or horrible issues with the people that I've chosen to be in my life ... this came into play with some of the things that these two women had to say about me .... which I'll get more into later ... but  there were some implications of "misery loves company" and "those that are bullies see a bully" ... and to some extent I agree with both those statements ... you know ... it takes one to know one ... but that's not always true ... sometimes it just takes having prior experience to know one ... and  this leads me right back into the people we don't choose ... there are people we deal with in our lives, both face to face and in the cyber-world that are not people we would necessarily have dealings with, nonetheless a friendship with, otherwise ... these are the people that I have had issues with ... so it's not that I like having negative, bullying people in my life ... it's not that I am attracted to judgmental people ... in fact quite the opposite ... it's that I have a hard time letting people go that I feel "obligated" to ... there are people like co-workers, classmates, my kids' friends' parents, family (can't forget family), friends' significant others and family, friends' friends, and family friends ... that I wouldn't necessarily be friends with outside of those connections ... people that other people or genetics chose for me ... not people I would have met on my own and thought, "wow she seems like a really nice person, compassionate and caring, the kind of person I want to be friends with" ... in fact some of them initially rubbed me the wrong way ... but for the most part I just smile through things ... keep my mouth shut and follow the "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all" rule ... unfortunately these two women fell into the people we don't choose ... the older of which has been friends with my mom for years ... and my mom treats one of her daughters like a niece ... which I understand being an only child myself ... the desire to love and care for someone's children like they are part of your family ... and for a long time I have watched my mother struggle with this friendship as well ... and in fact that has led to some recent bonding, which was good for us, so in some ways I have a reason to be grateful that these people are the way they are ...

So, when I unfriended this girl on Facebook after she made yet one more comment and I had a flooded inbox asking me why I would keep such an awful and judgmental person in my life ... I have it on good authority to say that she put on her status on her own Facebook page, "So you know how you have some people on facebook that their posts just annoy you to no end. Easy fix: comment on their post and call them on their stuff. Problem solved they un-friend you! Celebrate!" ... which I guess only goes to prove that she wasn't just innocently saying something I took the wrong way ... ironically I also have it on good authority that after my last blog post about this situation that she deleted that post ... and others that said things like "some people are crazy" and things like that where others and me both attributed to her ... I honestly don't understand how people can completely lack compassion and empathy and be mean, but apparently they can ... and it's also kind of strange that apparently my positive posts annoyed her ... but this whole part where she was calling me on my crap is kind of funny ... again ... I think it goes without saying that finding a job and getting out of this house would make my life feel easier and more normal to me ... so if telling me that was calling me on my crap ... well obviously she doesn't have a clue as to what really is going on in the world and how hard jobs are to come by ... especially for people that don't have a stable work history ... that seems to be on the top of employers' wish lists right now and unfortunately I don't have that; from being a stay at home mom to being basically forced to leave my last two jobs at the whim of my father ... I mean I could go on and on about the cards that are stacked against me, but everyone close to me; especially my mother and my boyfriend know very, very well that I am doing everything in my power to make that happen ... when you get thanks but no thank letters from places like Wal-Mart and Target it can be very discouraging ... but I have been pushing through the discouragement and trying very hard to get out of this spot ...

Shortly after I unfriended her, her mother (my mom's friend) unfriended me ... she would go on to blog about it herself ... and make comments on her facebook page referring to me as a "maladjusted social networker" and other things ... I am glad they are so sure in their judgments, and I hope when they look back at their lives and the times they chose to judge people that they are still willing to stand by that and not question themselves ... I personally believe that judgment is left to a higher source than me ... however that does not mean I need to surround myself in venomous and toxic people that only wish to bring me down ... people that lack compassion and empathy fall into that category ... I do believe some people can change ... but not usually ... sometimes a recognition of one's own mortality makes them kinder ... makes them appreciate the people in their life more .... but sometimes it doesn't ...

In the meantime ... my mother was actually out visiting this friend .... while all this was going on ... I don't think she had much knowledge of it at the time ... but my mother came home from this visit and I could just tell that she was frustrated with a lot ... because this relaxing vacation wasn't all that relaxing ... she said she was snapped at while she was there and judged ... and then her friend wrote a blog basically talking about what a burden it was to have a house guest, which my mom took very, very personally ... then I told her about my problems lately with these women and she assured me that neither of them are happy with their own lives right now ... that the younger one is very unhappy in her marriage and wants to move closer to her mom but her husband doesn't want to ... and that they are both struggling financially ... and maybe I just ended up being a punching bag ... which is possible I guess ... but when I'm down and out I tend to gain more compassion and empathy not lose it ... anyway, since my mom was no longer in direct firing range, I wrote the younger one and told her that I thought she deserved an explanation as to why I unfriended her. I meant to ask exactly what I had done to her that made her dislike me so much, be so angry and mean ... but I forgot ... I did start with "I don't know what exactly your problem with me is" ... but she wrote back and the first letters of her response was "I am sorry" ... I took that as an apology, but later on, I wonder if she really meant it that way ... especially when she blocked me ... so I couldn't write her again ... she made it clear on her own Facebook page and in her comments to me how she felt and the kind of person she really is ... and I guess that I just have to settle for that ....

That is another one of my problems ... I take bait ... in my thinking that if somehow I can just show people that lack compassion how it makes the other person feel ... how being hurtful is so wrong ... how to 'change their ways" ... I often say too much ... react too strongly ... respond to things I know I shouldn't respond to .. I know logically that I am just feeding a pack of frenzied sharks ... and I had the problem in grade school too ... people would tell me, "if you don't let them get a rise out of you they will stop" ... but I always have defended myself to a fault maybe ... tried to show people the other side of the story ... after all there always is more than one side of the story ... I play devils advocate on subjects where I don't even remotely agree with the side I'm arguing, I'm just trying to get whoever I'm talking to to understand there could be another point of view ... and some may even say that writing this post now ... I'm taking bait ... letting them get to me ... but in reality I'm writing this all out so I can let it go ... I tried to kill them with kindness ... give them the proverbial sugar ... and was just met with the same lack of compassion and empathy ...


I guess that leads me to really "taking the bait" on some of what they have had to say ... about my "annoying" posts ... and how negative I always am ... and I admit I have my moments ... as I've said before there is a full spectrum of human emotion for a reason ... psychologically it is healthy to express that entire spectrum ... I have some very frustrating parts of my life right now ... however, I ran this little app on Facebook a while back ... that tells you what your most used words in your status messages are ... my first "lol" ... second "kids" ... and third "night" .... I have to say that my number one used word in status messages being lol ... says a lot ... I can laugh and smile my way through most things in life that bug me ... my name is "etrnlsmiles" on almost everything because I am almost always smiling and always happy ... even when bad things are going on ... I am really an incredibly optimistic person ... I've had some things go very, very wrong in my life over the last few years ... and things that would bug a lot of people .... but ... even if I say something that sounds negative and I end it in "lol" ... that means that I am laughing and smiling about it .... that it may suck ... but I can find the humor in it ... there was a line in a blog about how I was talking negatively about my "benefactors" ... and I will full on admit to that ... but you can't tell the whole story in a 420 character Facebook status ... I also don't have keyboard bravery ... with very, very little exception I have said everything I have said about my mother and father in this blog to them; whether in writing or face to face ... I have ... I don't believe in being two faced or making someone think things are all perfect on the outside when on the inside you aren't happy ... so the things I say on here are pretty much the same things I have said to them, with very little exception ... I also have said many things that I qualify with being grateful for what I do have ... being grateful for what I have been given ... some of the feelings I express I can't do very well without sounding like an ungrateful bitch .. .and I'm aware of that ... that's why you have to have the whole story ... not just the pieces you choose to hear ... my mom is probably my best friend ... living together drove us apart ... part of my issue was I missed my mom ... I missed my best friend ... because she took over this controlling stance of being someone else ... of providing more for my kids' needs than mine ... which is a hard thing ... when you're jealous of your own children ... it is ... and it doesn't mean my feelings are justified ... but they are what they are ... and when I went to move away from my dad's control he offered me one final thing ... he would take all my money and he would take me shopping for what he thought I needed or buy me gas when he thought I needed it, etc., .... my mom, and this friend of hers were absolutely adamant that was not acceptable, that I needed more control than that, etc., .... well .... that is basically the position I have been put in now only the money isn't mine (which I know is kind of a big difference) .... but say for example sake ... my mom spends $600 on my kids and I in a month ... well $200 is buying the kids clothes they don't necessarily need ... $100 is spent buying hair products and soap products and other things I think aren't really necessary ... $100 is spent on food items that she neither needs to be paying for and things I don't really think are necessary ... and the other $200 on things that are necessary and I'm totally fine with ... well then it comes to me needing or wanting something ... like a tank of gas to go see my boyfriend (our biggest fights are over this) ... a haircut before I go out on job interviews, interview clothes, etc., .... and she says there is no money for that ... what I'm upset about is I don't have the power to sacrifice my Redken shampoo and conditioner (at $15 a bottle on sale) for gas ... or say "the kids don't need dessert every night, so can we save that money and I can get a haircut?" .... it really ends up being the same as what my dad was offering me ... which is to give up all control over my own choices ... I can't choose to sacrifice one expense for the sake of another ... and that leads to real frustration ... also her relationship with my boyfriend is very stressful ... and my outright need to defend people I love ... leaves me constantly defending them to each other ... and when she was more concerned about me getting my boyfriend out of her house than she was with my son  being in the hospital, and adding to my stress with that stress ... that was an issue ... we have our issues ... as I think any grown up child and a parent would having to live together after the child had been self sufficient for over a decade .... I'm sure if these two women had to live together and the daughter had little to no money of their own they would find that they had issues too ... I also have a great amount of empathy for my mom and the fact that we have "invaded" her house where she was used to living alone for over a decade as well ... it's why I try to keep myself and my children in the basement as much as possible ...and out of her living area ... trying to respect her space ... I know none of this is easy for her either ... and she knows I know that ...

As far as Facebook and "negative" status posts ... there really aren't that many of them ... I went through in my paranoid frenzy and read back months and months and months ... they're not all happy go lucky, but they're certainly not all negative ...  I do have friends that go in spurts of posting only negative things for a while and then they go back to positive .... it happens ... people have hard days ... people post things maybe they don't even really think about ... that's why if I don't have something encouraging to say ... or nice to say ... I just don't comment ... people have frustrations with their kids, and their partners, and their friends and their jobs ... I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to comment on a post where someone was bitching about their job and say "shut up ... you have one" ... but I don't ... because when it comes down to it I'm not that kind of person ... but people also have to not assume that things are about what you think they are ... often times if I'm talking about something that frustrated me, it has to do with WoW ... with a game and people that play it with me ... people that I also didn't choose ... as far as my blog and negative posts .. much of my blog is cathartic and me thinking outloud and in that a lot can come off as negative, but it's me working through my emotions .... as far as directly about my "benefactors" ... out of 95 blog posts ... 18 of them are tagged with the term "parents" .... and of those probably at least half are about my father ... so when it comes down to it I guess about 20% of the time there might be something negative about one of my parents in my blogs (although not all are negative) ... but given the circumstances of my life I would say that's fairly normal ... it's a stressor in my life right now and blogging is helpful in getting some of that stress out ...

I guess when it comes down to it ... I wish people wouldn't jump to conclusions and judge ... I've had many people send me private messages on Facebook and ask me what's going on or if they could help when I've posted something negative ... recently I said something about having to deal with my dad's family and one of my friends sent me a private message telling me how he understood all to well about family not being all it's cracked up to be and then told me that when things get really bad he just closes his eyes and pictures sending them through a wood chipper ... and obviously he was trying to make me smile and he did .... I have plenty of friends though that want the bigger picture than the 420 characters in a Facebook status ... and they ask ... they don't just judge and act like they know what's going on ... when they don't ... and sometimes it has been "someone in WoW said mean things to me lol" and that's my answer back ... and I just realized it is physically impossible for me to type "lol" without turning up the corners of my lips ... but anyway ... I don't understand some people ... and I guess that's why I wouldn't choose to have them in my life .... the people I have chosen have compassion and empathy and an understanding of human beings that I seem to have as well ... oh and most of them like cats!
Creative Commons License

All material is copyrighted please see the Permissions page for information on sharing or re-posting information ... full permission is always given for sharing links to full articles via social networks or email.

Top Three Blogs For The Last Thirty Days ...

My Most Viewed Blogs Ever ...